- This event has passed.
Design Facilitation 1 (Apr 21)
Foundations, Principles, Processes
About this Workshop
How do you bring focus to a conversation? Encourage active participation? Get buy-in and ownership?
These might be familiar challenges to you, as organisations today are increasingly looking to designers for more than just skills in their craft. With the growing complexity of the world, designers are also called to be facilitators–to help bring people from diverse backgrounds together in strategic conversations, creative explorations, and to solve problems.
For such situations, this hands-on workshop provides you the fundamentals and principles of being a good design facilitator.
You will learn how to stay neutral while bringing others through a problem-solving process; principles of facilitating divergent, convergent and emergent processes; gain different tools for different stages of a design process; and receive a number of resources to support you along your journey.
What You’ll Learn
- Creating buy-in and ownership
- Facilitating divergent, convergent and emergent processes
- Creating active participation and engagement
- Key attitudes of a design thinking facilitator
- Preparing design facilitation sessions
- Different stages of the facilitation process
- Different process tools for different stages of the facilitation process
This is for you if…
- You feel you have been facilitating by instinct or learnt it on the job and want some frameworks or principles to support and ground your thinking.
- You want to be able to facilitate sessions smoothly with effective outcomes that participants enjoy attending.
- You have never taken any formal courses on facilitation and find yourself taking up or being assigned such a role in meetings and discussions.
- You want to utilise design tools and frameworks to help your team or organisation to explore and solve problems.
About the Trainers
Lye Yen Kai
MANAGING DIRECTOR, PIVOTAL LEARNING
Yen Kai has more than 15 years of training and facilitating experience. He is a Certified Professional Facilitator with IAF, USA as well as a Certified Action Coach with WIAL, USA.
Over the years, he has applied his facilitation skills in a variety of settings, including Strategic Planning Workshops, Focus Group Discussions and Organisation Development work.
He has been collaborating with Khai Seng to integrate a specific field of facilitation known as Process Facilitation into the area of Design Thinking.
Hong Khai Seng
FOUNDER & DIRECTOR, STUDIO DOJO
Khai Seng first started out in the design field in 2004. Throughout his career, he has not only helped to design large-scale digital systems, but also facilitated numerous training programmes for C-suite executives and working professionals to drive cultural change within organisations around design and innovation.
Prior to starting Studio Dojo, Khai Seng was formerly the Head of Singapore for Foolproof, a UK-based experience design agency. Education is also close to his heart, having developed curriculum and taught anthropological studies, interaction design, experience design and design thinking in Republic Polytechnic and Singapore Institute of Technology.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Is this workshop an introduction to design thinking?
No, this workshop is focused on the practice of facilitation and is best experienced by people who already have some basic understanding of design thinking processes.
- Can non-designers join?
Yes, anyone can join regardless of professional backgrounds. To get the most out of this workshop, we strongly encourage that you have some basic understanding of design thinking processes.
- What’s the size of the workshop?
We are planning for 20 – 24 participants.
- Are there group discounts?
If you are purchasing tickets to Design Facilitation 1 as a group, we will extend the early bird rates till 14 April to the group.
Date & Time
22 April 2021
10AM to 6PM
21 Bedok North Street 1
+ Google Map
Full-day, In-person Workshop
Early Bird: S$350
Special Launch Price: S$400
Standard Price: S$450
Design Facilitation 1 + 2: S$900