Design Facilitation 2
Power, Tension, Critique
About this Workshop
Design thinking sounds amazing in theory, but if you have experienced facilitating a design process, you can attest to how messy it can be in practice!
How does a facilitator truly help bring people from diverse backgrounds together? Often, when different worldviews collide, power dynamics come to play, tensions build, relationships strain and challenging behaviours arise. It is part of a facilitator’s job to hold space for conversations amidst such complexity.
This is a hands-on workshop that delves into the messiness of design facilitation, offering you a safe space to learn how to be a better facilitator through guided practice. This workshop will build on basics covered in Design Facilitation 1, and cover advanced topics like managing power dynamics, tension, challenging behaviours and facilitating design critique in a manner that fosters conversation.
What You’ll Learn
- Handling power dynamics within a group
- Handling tension and challenging behaviours
- How to run a design critique session
- Learn 3-4 framing techniques and how they improve your design facilitation
- Facilitate team learning
This is for you if…
- You have about 3-5 years in design facilitation by learning on-the-job and want more rigour in it.
- You want to deepen your learning after covering the basic facilitation frameworks in Design Facilitation 1.
- You want to better understand disruptive behaviours and effective strategies to address them.
- You want to learn best practices in running design critiques.
- You wish to practice your design facilitation skills in a safe and conducive learning environment.
About the Trainers
Lye Yen Kai
MANAGING DIRECTOR, PIVOTAL LEARNING
Yen Kai has more than 15 years of training and facilitating experience. He is a Certified Professional Facilitator with IAF, USA as well as a Certified Action Coach with WIAL, USA.
Over the years, he has applied his facilitation skills in a variety of settings, including Strategic Planning Workshops, Focus Group Discussions and Organisation Development work.
He has been collaborating with Khai Seng to integrate a specific field of facilitation known as Process Facilitation into the area of Design Thinking.
Hong Khai Seng
FOUNDER & DIRECTOR, STUDIO DOJO
Khai Seng first started out in the design field in 2004. Throughout his career, he has not only helped to design large-scale digital systems, but also facilitated numerous training programmes for C-suite executives and working professionals to drive cultural change within organisations around design and innovation.
Prior to starting Studio Dojo, Khai Seng was formerly the Head of Singapore for Foolproof, a UK-based experience design agency. Education is also close to his heart, having developed curriculum and taught anthropological studies, interaction design, experience design and design thinking in Republic Polytechnic and Singapore Institute of Technology.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Do I need to attend Design Facilitation 1 before I can attend Design Facilitation 2?
As this workshop builds upon and makes references to teachings in Design Facilitation 1, we highly recommend that you attend it first before attending Design Facilitation 2. Alternatively, if you have not attended Design Facilitation 1 but have 3-5 years experience in design facilitation, this workshop is also suitable for you. Feel free to drop us an email to check your suitability for this workshop!
- Can non-designers join?
Yes, anyone can join regardless of professional backgrounds. To get the most out of this workshop, we strongly encourage that you have a strong understanding of design thinking processes and prior experience in facilitating design processes for teams.
- Is this an advanced workshop on design thinking?
No, this workshop is focused on the practice of facilitation and is best experienced by people who already have a strong understanding of design thinking processes.
- What’s the size of the workshop?
We are planning for 20-24 participants.
- Are there group discounts?
If you are purchasing tickets as a group for Design Facilitation 2, we will extend the early bird rates for your group purchase till 23rd June 2021.
- I’m from a government agency, can you please submit an e-invoice instead?
Yes, we can! Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with the necessary information.
Date & Time
14 & 15 July 2021
9AM to 5PM
21 Bedok North Street 1
+ Google Map
Full-day, In-person Workshop
Early Bird: S$600
Special Launch Price: S$700
Standard Price: S$800
Please contact email@example.com if you need e-invoice submission via Vendors@Gov.