- This event has passed.
Design Facilitation 1
Foundations, Principles, Processes
About this Workshop
How do you bring focus to a conversation? Encourage active participation? Get buy-in and ownership?
These might be familiar challenges to you, as organisations today are increasingly looking to designers for more than just skills in their craft. With the growing complexity of the world, designers are also called to be facilitators–to help bring people from diverse backgrounds together in strategic conversations, creative explorations, and to solve problems.
For such situations, this hands-on workshop provides you the fundamentals and principles of being a good design facilitator.
You will learn how to stay neutral while bringing others through a problem-solving process; principles of facilitating divergent, convergent and emergent processes; gain different tools for different stages of a design process; and receive a number of resources to support you along your journey.
What You’ll Learn
- Creating buy-in and ownership
- Facilitating divergent, convergent and emergent processes
- Creating active participation and engagement
- Key attitudes of a design thinking facilitator
- Preparing design facilitation sessions
- Different stages of the facilitation process
- Different process tools for different stages of the facilitation process
This is for you if…
- You feel you have been facilitating by instinct or learnt it on the job and want some frameworks or principles to support and ground your thinking.
- You want to be able to facilitate sessions smoothly with effective outcomes that participants enjoy attending.
- You have never taken any formal courses on facilitation and find yourself taking up or being assigned such a role in meetings and discussions.
- You want to utilise design tools and frameworks to help your team or organisation to explore and solve problems.
About the Trainers
Lye Yen Kai
MANAGING DIRECTOR, PIVOTAL LEARNING
Yen Kai has more than 15 years of training and facilitating experience. He is a Certified Professional Facilitator with IAF, USA as well as a Certified Action Coach with WIAL, USA.
Over the years, he has applied his facilitation skills in a variety of settings, including Strategic Planning Workshops, Focus Group Discussions and Organisation Development work.
He has been collaborating with Khai Seng to integrate a specific field of facilitation known as Process Facilitation into the area of Design Thinking.
Hong Khai Seng
FOUNDER & DIRECTOR, STUDIO DOJO
Khai Seng first started out in the design field in 2004. Throughout his career, he has not only helped to design large-scale digital systems, but also facilitated numerous training programmes for C-suite executives and working professionals to drive cultural change within organisations around design and innovation.
Prior to starting Studio Dojo, Khai Seng was formerly the Head of Singapore for Foolproof, a UK-based experience design agency. Education is also close to his heart, having developed curriculum and taught anthropological studies, interaction design, experience design and design thinking in Republic Polytechnic and Singapore Institute of Technology.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Is this workshop an introduction to design thinking?
No, this workshop is focused on the practice of facilitation and is best experienced by people who already have some basic understanding of design thinking processes.
- Can non-designers join?
Yes, anyone can join regardless of professional backgrounds. To get the most out of this workshop, we strongly encourage that you have some basic understanding of design thinking processes.
- What’s the size of the workshop?
We are planning for 20 – 24 participants. We will require a minimum of 10 participants for this workshop.
- Are there group discounts?
Unfortunately for this run, there are no group discounts.
- I’m from a government agency, can you please submit an e-invoice instead?
Yes, we can! Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with the necessary information.
Hear what our past participants have to say
Date & Time
11 June 2021
9AM to 5PM
In-person Online Workshop
In view of the current community measures and recommendation by the SG government, this workshop will be conducted online.
Special Launch Price: S$400
Please contact email@example.com if you need e-invoice submission via Vendors@Gov.